Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Am I Reading Historical Fiction?


          Wow! I just took a break to check my email and found this headline on Salon.com: North Carolina GOPers want an official state religion

All I could think of was the line from Cinderella, the TV movie, not the cartoon: “Impossible things are happening every day."

I wasn’t the most attentive student of history way back when, but I remember something about religious freedom. Has the political climate oozed so far to the right that we have to add religion to the ugly mess that already includes gay rights, white supremacy, male superiority? The black hole is getting deeper and slimier. 

What are these people thinking? We’re supposed to live in a democratic society where everyone gets a vote and the majority rules. I was one of those who waited in line for over four hours in the South Florida sun to vote. By choice I voted at a polling place where I knew I would meet lots of my African American neighbors. For the second time I shared in their excitement as together we elected President Obama. Funny thing was that people started to show up, having waited for hours at the other polling place, the one near the exclusive shopping mall. Ours was better organized.

Is it possible that the people who are trying to take over the minds and hearts of the North Carolinians really don’t remember any history? Or maybe they really want to continue to fight the Civil War, during which at least 618,000 people were killed. I loved Gone with the Wind, the book and the movie. Remember "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn?" I do give a damn about freedom of religion.

We’ll be traveling from Florida to New York in July and always enjoyed what North Carolina had to offer. Google Maps, help me avoid those people. We’ll find a route that skirts North Carolina (I guess that’s called a boycott.) even if it takes us longer, a lot longer, and consumes more fuel. Unless the saner members of the state legislature come out against the supporters of choosing a state religion, we’ll take our business elsewhere. North Carolina, you have until July.

No comments:

Post a Comment