Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I Guess I'll Have to Eat Like a Dog

Mikey's teaching me how to eat.

When I began my research for People Food for Pets, I found many lists of doggie “no no’s.” I consulted list after list; the foods on the lists began sounding familiar.

I’ve been suffering from migraine headaches for as long as I can remember and have been researching the food triggers. Most, but not all, of the migraine “no no’s” have been problems for me. No one has demonstrated whether the foods have a cumulative effect; that could explain the seemingly random headaches, but I know I’ve been the target of each one at some time.

Yes, migraine headaches are the enemy. The enemy seems to sneak into my bedroom at three in the morning and shoot me in the head, usually only on one side, leaving me incapacitated. Then we begin our dialogue: “What did you eat yesterday? Did you eat lunch, breakfast? What time did you come into bed last night? Yadda yadda yadda”

Here’s a curious list:

Bad for Dogs
Bad for Migraines
aged cheese
aged cheese
alcohol
alcohol
bananas
bananas
beer
beer
caffeine
caffeine
chickpeas
chickpeas
chocolate
chocolate
citrus
citrus
corncobs
corncobs
eggplant
eggplant
garlic
garlic
ketchup
ketchup
mushrooms
mushrooms
mustard seeds
mustard
onions
onions
processed meats
processed meats
raisins
raisins
raspberries
raspberries
red grapes
red grapes
red plums
red plums
soy sauce
soy sauce
tea
tea
tomatoes
tomatoes
uncooked yeast dough
uncooked yeast dough
walnuts
walnuts
wine
wine

All these migraine triggers have been on my list for years. Yes, I do give in and eat pizza or sausages with peppers and onions, but at three AM I regret it.

I’m working on a cookbook with recipes for pet food made from the same ingredients that I use for my people food. The first thing I had to find was a list of foods that were dangerous for dogs, ingredients I could never use in my dog food.

If I couldn’t use the ingredients in the dog food, I certainly couldn’t include them in my people food recipes. We’ve been eating the people food without the problematic ingredients for two weeks, and I haven’t had a single headache, not one. Could I have conquered the enemy?

Now I have to figure out how to cook without wine, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and mushrooms. If eating like Mikey will cure my headaches, I may have to start to bark, or teach Mikey to read (He already talks.)

2 comments:

  1. I started backsliding and eating foods that Mikey can't eat. Last night it was onions and mushrooms with sherry and soy sauce. Today it turned into a headache. OK, Mikey, I'll have to continue to eat like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the latest and not greatest. On our cruise I started to indulge in cream, lots of it: cream sauce, creamy desserts, cream on my fruit in the morning. Every day gave birth to a new migraine.

    Then I started to think about the whole milk ricotta that I'd been favoring for breakfast. Is there a message? OK, Scott, perhaps you're right. Maybe I am, as you are, lactose intolerant, and one of the roots of my migraines has been as simple as dairy products.

    So, as of Monday, nothing that ever came from the udder of a cow entered my mouth and, what a concept, not a single headache. OK, it's only been 2 1/2 days but I've had Peruvian food and Italian food (Try to choose Italian food that doesn't have cheese, a challenge, but veal with wine and pasta with garlic and oil without cheese and garlic rolls without cheese worked.)hard boiled egg sandwiches with homemade mayonnaise, salads with homemade honey mustard dressing (I stopped using anything from a jar or bottle a long time ago.)

    I'm still sleeping with the cooling headband thing that I picked up at an MS conference, the one that my husband says makes me look like Bjorn Borg--I could do worse, I guess--but no headaches and no imitrex and no advil.

    As I've said so many times, I'd stop eating if I could stop getting migraines. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

    ReplyDelete