Thursday, February 23, 2012

Am I Missing Something?


OK, I know I made a fuss about whisking the dry ingredients for the shortbread cookies. Perhaps I over-reacted because whole wheat flour wouldn’t have been quite as messy as white flour, although the recipe would probably have been much better if some white flour had been mixed in. The comments about the cookies on the website weren’t too positive. I just used it as a vehicle to gripe about editing.

But, it gets worse.  Today the March issue of Bon Appetit arrived, an event in my mailbox because I really do read recipes as if they were novels. The cover story is new (I guess) no knead pizza. First line: "Whisk flour, salt, and yeast in a medium bowl." I don't know about you, but I whisk with a whisk, stir with a spoon, and beat with a beater, either electric or hand operated.

Sure, I could accomplish the mixing with a whisk without turning my kitchen into a virtual dust storm, but the next sentence in the instructions reads “While stirring with a wooden spoon, gradually add 3 cups water…”  Is there anyone out there who can explain to me whether a whisk could by any stretch of the imagination really do a better job of mixing the dry ingredients or why it could possibly be necessary, since they surely would have been combined with the addition of the 3 cups of water?

Bon Appetit, do you need an editor. I start to work at 5 AM and I could squeeze you in.


No comments:

Post a Comment